Annual Mitsubishi Lecture
2014 Mitsubishi Lecture
The UNSW School of Mining Engineering hosted the annual Mitsubishi Lecture and Cocktail function, delivered by Mark Adams, General Manager Queensland Operations for MMG. Mark has responsibility for Australia’s largest zinc mine, Century, as well as Operations accountability for MMG’s Dugald River zinc-lead-silver development project.
Mark's presentation 'Leadership, Risk & Value', discussed how these key ideas influence the mining industry and the future challenges faced by mining engineers.
The Lecture acknowledges the support of Mitsubishi Development Pty Ltd to mining education. Mitsubishi Development is a major stakeholder in coal mining operations in Australia through its associations with BHP Billiton in Qld and, Glencore and Rio Tinto in NSW. Mitsubishi Development is supporting minerals tertiary education at UNSW through a range of initiatives that include undergraduate scholarships and an annual public lecture on a topical aspect of mining and support for educational infrastructure in the School. The lecture is usually held in April/May each year.
Previous Mitsubishi Lectures
- 2013: "Rio Tinto's Mine of the Future" delivered by Dr Jenny Purdie
- 2012: "Xstrata: a dynamic company delivering vital natural resources to modern society" delivered by Mr Charlie Sartain
- 2011: "Leadership and the Journey to Zero Fatalities" delivered by Mr Robert Davies
- 2010: "The Future of Coal" delivered by Dr Don Elder
- 2009: "Being Deconstruction Ready - Dealing with Engineering Error" delivered by Emeritus Prof Mary O'Kane
- 2008: "In-Pit Lowwall Dump Design and Stability at Mt Owen Mine" delivered by Wayne Bartlett
- 2007: "Highwall, Stockpiles and Dumps: Safety and Productivity" powerpoint slides and lecture notes delivered by Prof Tim Sullivan
- 2006: "Preventative and Holistic Management of Health in a Global Mining Industry" powerpoint slides and lecture notes delivered by Dr Peter Shanahan
- 2005: "Opportunities and Challenges for Mine Planning and Operations" delivered by Ian Tredinnick
- 2004: "Dragline or Truck/Shovel? Some Technical and Business Considerations" powerpoint slides and lecture notes delivered by Paul Westcott